Lady with lace shawl by Henry Vines, 1860s
Henry Vines was active between the early 1840’s and late 1870’s. In 1848 he was operating out of The Horticultural Rooms. He is listed in old Bristol directories as operating from 32 Park Street in 1852 and from Glencairn Villa, Queen’s Road, opposite Buckingham Place, Clifton, Bristol in 1856. Buckingham Place is still there but everything opposite in Queen’s Road was torn down in 1909 for the Bristol University student union building.
Vines also wrote a book, “A Brief Sketch of the Rise and Progress of Photography, with Particular Reference to the Practice of Daguerreotype” in 1852.